Wow, Abigail will be 6 weeks on Wensday. It is very hard for me to belive. That being said we are still riding that huge learning curve that comes with being parents. And let me tell you there is alot the don’t teach when it comes to being parents. In no particular order a list of what I learned or was not told.
- Breastfeeding is hard. I am now pumping breastmilk full time. It was hard work, I did not recive the support in hospital and Abby had trouble too. No one tells you about things like flat nipples, fast let downs, or babies being toung tied.
- You may not instantly bond with your baby. For me I am still struggling with this. Motherhood is not what I had thought and this is causing me to struggle with my bonding.
- You will understand why parents can resort to shaking their child. When your baby cries non stop there is nothing you want more than for them to calm down. While holding your baby you get very frustrated. It is better to let them cry, put them down and walk away. You yourself will then probably cry.
- You will not be told how much you will cry. It’s not a walk in the park, infact even a walk to the park can make you cry. It is work to take Abby anywhere, we are either lugging the stroller/carseat or need to have her strapped on one of us.
- You are lucky to enjoy a whole sit down meal at once. Dean cooks, and it never fails that Abby will get upset or wake up as soon as we sit down to eat casuing one of us to need to get up and go to her.
- You will be anxious when your baby sleeps. Yep if she is quiet for too long I get stressed out and need to go see her and make sure she is breathing.
While I know there are probably more this is all I can think of for now. Baby is doing well and I go for my 6 week check-up Monday. Here is hoping for a clean bill of health and the ok to start working out. I only hope things get better from here and one day I will be able to pass the lessons I learned on to Abby.